Monday, December 6, 2010

Back to the doctor

Tomorrow we head back to Dr. Ochs for Anyssa's follow up visit. We are not sure what he's going to tell us, but we hope he'll be able to complete the vaccination section of the school registration papers. Surgery for ear tubes is Wednesday and then the registration appointment on Thursday. Cross your fingers. Christy (the school principal) said that she thinks Anyssa will do great in kindergarten. I think so too, but then again, I'm biased. It will be good for her to be out of the house in a social situation with kids her own age. Her English is coming along, albeit slowly. I just think of that radio commercial for Rosetta Stone where they talk about how kids don't LEARN a language...they ABSORB it. That seems to be the case.

One funny thing I gotta tell you. I took along an issue of Popular Mechanics to read on the plane and I told Laura that I was going to bring it with to the Great Wall. I told her to take my picture with it and I would send it to the editors...they post pictures of people reading the mag in interesting places. Well, the other day I got a message form the assistant editor...she said they were interested in publishing my pic! No word yet, but if all goes well, you'll all be able to see my mug in the letters section of a future issue of PM!

Anyssa got her first taste of a midwestern winter. When it snowed the other day, Laura and I took her downstairs and plopped her in front of the window and raised the blinds. Classic. The mouth opened and the eyes bugged out. Man! She's seen snow on TV but we don't know if she ever thought she would experience it. I went out to shovel while mommy got her dressed. Then we all headed to the neighbors who were building a snowman. It didn't take long before a snowball fight started...she had a blast! I do have to say that I need to work on her arm...she throws like a girl ;-)

Yesterday we went to the Bass Pro Shop to see the Christmas village they set up. We didn't wait in line for Santa because we didn't think she would know what was going on. I can see it now...half an hour in line, going to see the big guy and her freezing in her tracks. We just stood by the side and Santa waved at her. The big smiles came when she got to climb on the quad-runners and the boats! Those are some pictures to send back to the orphanage!


I'll let you all know how the doctor visit went. Maybe we'll swing by Jim's studio again if he's around. Anyssa like looking at the press and the art!

2 comments:

  1. such a cute story and pictures. I see you got her in a pair of JEANS !
    keep te posts commin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They'll have you figured for some real capitalists back in China when they see pictures of Anyssa with the boat and ATV you bought her!!

    ReplyDelete